- Ensure you understand and respect where students are coming from before offering them guidance.
- It’s really important to understand where your students are coming from, this will help you give them better feedback and show how much you respect them.
- Focus on asking questions rather than making recommendations.
- This is particularly helpful when you can’t imagine someone making the decision your student is contending with.
- For instance, sometimes a student will consider taking a job for reason they’re too embarrassed to say, like thinking it’s the only job offer they’ll get.
- It’s helpful to ask questions about how different things are factoring into their decision process so you can give your students really tailored guidance.