- Ensure students are called on in ways that respect their identities.
- When students don’t feel safe, it can cause them distress in the classroom. Taking the time to show your students respect can help create a safe environment.
- Consider having students record themselves saying their name.
- This provides a guide on the correct pronunciation you can practice from.
- You might also consider asking students what their personal gender pronouns are.
- Gender expression is a really important aspect of your students identity. Asking them and then referring to them by their preferred pronoun (he/she/they/ze etc.) shows a profound level of respect for your students’ identities.
- Let students know your prefered gender pronoun (PGP) too!