- Help students come to terms with their experiences in CS without feeling like they were never good enough, or didn’t have enough natural talent to succeed.
- It’s important for students to understand that even if CS isn’t working for them right now, they can always try again. It’s not about natural talent.
- Make sure students leave the CS major with a sense that they could succeed in this field later in life, if they ever want to re-explore computer science.
- Tell students that now may not be the right time in their life to pursue this interest, but CS will be around if their circumstances change.
- Be sure to point out any work the student has done that demonstrates an aptitude in CS or demonstrates that they have something unique to offer.