- Assign activities that make students proud of their work; assignments that produce artifacts that connect to the real-world.
- Demonstrating skills they learn through meaningful projects increases confidence.
- Current and relevant lessons increase the likeliness of student engagement.
- Big picture CS reasoning skills are crucial for everyone because CS pervades every industry.
- Design structured projects or thematic assignments that build off of student interest (games, movies, music, etc.). These allow students to express themselves while working on tough problems.
- Require students to plan, build, test (often with peer feedback), and reflect on the projects they create.
Note from the CS Teaching Tips Team: You can look at this tip for more information on which five professional development skills to include in the objectives of all your CS courses.